Monday, August 11, 2014

A Book Journal for the First Day of School


Happy Monday, everyone!  It is a super windy day here in Kansas, and today marks our first official day of the new school year.  I'm the mother of an 8th and 9th grader!  Because we homeschool, I didn't wan to embarrass my kids with a first day of school picture.  My kids tend to start the day in pajamas, and to be honest. . .so do I!  They were both up early prepping for the day, and my oldest even went running with his dad at 6:30 a.m.  

Since it was our first official day, I thought it would be fitting to show off a couple of fun new projects I made with a new set from Taylored Expressions.  The set is called In Other Words - Read, and I love it!  It goes perfectly with the Mark Your Spot Bookmark Die, so I had to make a bookmark.  Not only that, I thought it would be fun to make a Book Journal.  I plan to use this book journal as a place to write about the books that I read.  This sort of thing is perfect for my forgetful self.  I end up reading a lot of books for the kids' school year, so there won't be too many books for pleasure in here.  However, I think this will be helpful in being able to recommend specific books for curriculum.  Not only that, but the bookmark will definitely be put to good use in this house ;)

The set comes with a couple of different 'read' stamps, so I took the liberty of stamping them all over my kraft paper to make my own background.  I stamped the books onto Choice Buttercream CS and colored them with Copics.  The book itself was made by folding in half about 10 sheets of graph paper, and punching holes for the twine to go through.

Stamps:  In Other Words - Read
Ink:  Memento Tuxedo Black, SU Crumb Cake, craft white
Paper:  kraft, Choice Buttercream, SU Bravo Burgundy
Accessories:  Copics, TE Mark Your Spot Bookmark, blue ribbon, twine, foam tape, graph paper

Thanks for stopping in!

1 comment:

  1. Fantastic cover and book mark Cassie. Love the way you stamped the background and the colors. The hemp twine looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment. I always appreciate your sweet words :)